This lamb crumble is the ideal alternative to a roast dinner as it has many of the same ingredients - but with a unique flair.
We've made our lamb crumble with spicy, lean minced lamb, courgettes, aubergine, canned chickpeas, and finished it off with a tasty Cheshire cheese crumble topping. It's truly a warming winter recipe, perfect for lunch or dinner on a cold day. There are 16 ingredients in this recipe but it's still surprisingly easy to make and you can leave it cooking in the oven while you prepare other elements of the meal. We recommend serving this crumble with a healthy portion of greens and a side of gravy.
- 500g (1lb) (2oz) lean minced lamb onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium aubergine, thinly sliced
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp dried thyme
- 1tsp chopped fresh red chilli or 1/2 tsp medium chilli powder
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 125ml (4floz) red wine or water
- 1 medium courgette, grated
- 50g (2oz) sultanas
- 410g can chick peas, rinsed and drained
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the topping:
- 100g (4oz) plain flour
- 50g (2oz) chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 75g (3oz) Cheshire cheese, finely crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Heat a large saucepan and add the lamb, searing it over a high heat until browned. Add the onion and garlic, reduce the heat and cook for about 5 mins, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, char-grill or grill the slices of aubergine for about 2 mins on each side to soften them. Stir the spices and herbs, tomato puree and red wine or water into the lamb mixture and simmer for 5 mins. Add the courgette, sultanas and chick peas, then remove from the heat. Season with black pepper.
- Spoon half the mixture into a deep baking dish. Layer the aubergine on top, then add the remaining mince mixture, leveling the surface. Cool for a few mins whilst preparing the topping.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the crumbled Cheshire cheese.
- Sprinkle over the mince mixture and bake for 30-35 mins.
Top tips for making lamb crumble:
If you find that you're crumble is baking away and turning a little too brown while your meat isn't quite cooked, leave the temperature the same but cover the dish with a tinfoil sheet. This will help the crumble to cook without burning it.
You might also like:
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Jessica Dady is Food Editor at GoodTo and has over 11 years of experience as a digital editor, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the must-buy seasonal food hampers and advent calendars for Christmas to the family-friendly air fryers that’ll make dinner time a breeze, Jessica loves trying and testing various food products to find the best of the best for the busy parents among us. Over the years of working with GoodTo, Jessica has had the privilege of working alongside Future’s Test Kitchen to create how-to videos exclusively for GoodtoEat - as well as writing, testing, and shooting her own recipes. When she’s not embracing the great outdoors with her family at the weekends, Jessica enjoys baking up a storm in the kitchen with her favourite bakes being chocolate chip cookies, cupcakes, and a tray of gooey chocolate brownies.
Air fryer Turkish-style stuffed aubergine with saffron and yogurt dip
Air fryer aubergine stuffed with a Turkish-style filling served with a saffron infused yogurt dip...
By Clare Andrews Published
These aubergine sliders are so simple to make and are tasty too. They’ll make the perfect side dish for a BBQ or special dinner with chicken
By Jessica Dady Published
Aubergine, bean and potato curry
This aubergine, bean and potato curry is a simple and satisfying vegetarian curry.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published