Princess Anne has been spotted wearing a sentimental piece of her mother's jewellery during a surprise trip to New York.
- Princess Anne has been pictured wearing her late mother's favourite necklace during her surprise trip to New York
- The necklace is a particularly sentimental piece and there is a heartfelt history as to why it was the Queen's (opens in new tab) favourite
- In other royal news (opens in new tab), Kate Middleton stepped out in £85 gemstone earrings from Meghan Markle’s favourite jewellery brand (opens in new tab)
Since the death of the Queen (opens in new tab), many royal fans have wondered what will happen, or what has already happened, to her extensive personal jewellery collection. While the Queen was buried wearing her wedding band and a pair of pearl earrings, according to Metro UK, as the Daily Mail noted, the late monarch owned around 300 pieces of jewellery herself, including 34 pairs of earrings, 15 rings, and 98 brooches.
While it has been reported that Camilla, Queen Consort, and Kate Middleton (opens in new tab), will likely inherit the bulk of the collection, it appears that Princess Anne has inherited a very special necklace that was reportedly the Queen's favourite.
A post shared by Joy Malone (@joymalonephotography) (opens in new tab)
A photo posted by on
Spotted at the English Speaking Union, Princess Anne wore the three-strand pearl necklace which was a gift that the Queen received from her father, Anne's grandfather, King George VI.
Speaking to The List, jeweller David Douglas explained, "Elizabeth loved the three-strand pearl necklace so much that she had an identical one made. In 1953, a third three-strand pearl necklace joined her collection. It was a gift from Emir of Qatar and the only difference among the three was that this version sported a diamond clasp."
Kate Middleton has also been spotted in one of the Queen's three-strand pearl necklaces, which she wore during a lunch reception at Buckingham Palace. Kate has honoured the late Queen by wearing her jewellery on a number of occasions since her passing, including at the Queen's coffin procession, where she wore a brooch previously worn by the Queen on a visit to Seoul in 1999.
- Prince William and Kate Middleton pose for a new portrait with King Charles III and the Queen Consort (opens in new tab)
- Prince Harry was never the confident "Prince Charming" he appeared to be, claims biographer (opens in new tab)
- Prince William faces cheeky questions from fans as Kate Middleton cradles baby during charity visit (opens in new tab)
- Kate Middleton’s mum reveals how she plans to spend time with Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis this autumn (opens in new tab)
- Sarah Ferguson shares sweet update on Queen’s corgis as she dubs them ‘national treasures’ (opens in new tab)