It was attended by 3,500 guests and watched by 750m people around the world, but was Camilla at Charles and Diana's wedding (opens in new tab)?
They had a brief relationship in the early 70s before Charles met Diana (opens in new tab), with Camilla going on to marry Andrew Parker Bowles - while Charles started his life with Diana. It's no secret that he and Camilla remained close friends - even after Charles and Diana got engaged - although author Penny Juror claims Charles didn’t initially reveal the full extent of their relationship.
Writing in The Duchess: Camilla Parker Bowles and the Affair That Rocked the Crown, Penny said, "Instead of explaining to Diana at the outset that Camilla was an old girlfriend, he had presented her as nothing more than a friend. It didn't occur to him that she needed to know before someone else told her. He came clean after the engagement, admitting that Camilla had been one of his most intimate friends, but reassured Diana that from now on there would be no other women."
Was Camilla at Charles and Diana’s wedding?
Yes, Camilla was in attendance at Charles and Diana's wedding in 1991. And it's not necessarily a surprise - given that the Queen's son and Camilla were so close.
Diana had her suspicions about Charles and Camilla’s relationship and she confessed to being so obsessed with Camilla that she was the person she looked for as she walked down the aisle. Penny Juror wrote: "[Diana] became jealous - obsessing about Camilla Parker Bowles - turning against people she appeared to like, convinced they were out to get her."
What did Camilla wear to Princess Diana’s wedding?
Diana described Camilla’s outfit for the wedding when speaking to Andrew Morton in 1991. She said, ‘I knew she was there, of course. I looked for her. So walking down the aisle, I spotted Camilla, [she was wearing a] pale grey, veiled pillbox hat. [I] saw it all, her son Tom standing on a chair. To this day, you know - vivid memory.’
Why was Camilla at Princess Diana’s wedding?
As well as her close friendship with Charles, Camilla’s then-husband Andrew Parker Bowles played an important role in Princess Diana’s wedding. As the Commanding Officer of the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment, he oversaw the ceremonial escort that accompanied Charles and Diana’s carriage during its procession through London.
But Diana did draw the line when it came to Camilla’s son Tom, Charles’ godson, being in the wedding party.
Penny said, ‘When it came to choosing her attendants for the wedding, she vetoed Charles' suggestion that Camilla's son, Tom, his godchild, be in the wedding party. She agreed to several of his other godchildren, but there was a big scene about Tom Parker Bowles and Charles backed down.’
Related Netflix features
- Did Charles want the Queen to abdicate? (opens in new tab)
- Princess Diana's revenge dress (opens in new tab)
- Windsor Castle fire (opens in new tab)
- Princess Diana's Panorama interview (opens in new tab)
- Where was The Crown filmed? Season 1 - 5 filming locations (opens in new tab)
- Was Diana taller than Charles? Princess Diana's height (opens in new tab)
- Who plays Diana in The Crown? (opens in new tab)
- The Crown season 5 trailer (opens in new tab)
- Prince Philip and Penny Knatchbull: Who is the Prince’s friend, and who plays her in The Crown season 5? (opens in new tab)
- How did Dodi meet Diana? Their relationship explained ahead of The Crown Season 5 (opens in new tab)
- Where is Martin Bashir now - and why was the Princess Diana interview so controversial? (opens in new tab)
- How did Princess Diana know Imran Khan, and what happened to him? (opens in new tab)
- Reliving memories in Netflix’s new season of The Crown will be “incredibly hard" for Prince Harry and Prince William, claims royal expert (opens in new tab)
- Has Camilla, Queen Consort got children and who are her grandchildren? (opens in new tab)
Video of the Week
Jack White is Celebrity Content Director at Future, working across Women's Lifestyle brands such as Woman&Home, Woman, Woman's Own, Women's Weekly and GoodtoKnow. When he's not interviewing your favourite stars or writing about the latest make-up/break up, you'll find Jack searching for new Gemma Collins memes, singing (badly) in the office or binge-watching crime dramas.
Why have Flybe cancelled all flights? What to do if you're affected by the Flybe collapse
Flybe has gone bust - here's what we know about why Flybe have cancelled all flights.
By Charlie Elizabeth Culverhouse • Published
Prince Harry announces first public appearance since Spare release
The event has a star studded line up
By Charlie Elizabeth Culverhouse • Published